After 15 long years, LucasFilm’s highly anticipated fifth and final movie in the Indiana Jones franchise will be released on June 30. Get ready to follow Indiana Jones on one last epic adventure!
Harrison Ford reprises his role as the adventurous and daring archaeologist, Dr. Henry Walton Jones Jr., aka Indiana “Indy” Jones, who once again sets out on a quest to keep a powerful ancient artifact from falling into the wrong hands.
The legendary filmmaking duo of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, who created Indiana Jones and catapulted him to fame, return but take a back seat as executive producers. James Mangold, known for Marvel movies The Wolverine and Logan, takes the reins as writer and director.
Insider’s Guide to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Here are the details we know so far to get you caught up before watching the final Indiana Jones adventure.
The Indiana Jones Franchise
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is the fifth installment and grand finale to the Indiana Jones saga. The critically acclaimed franchise has garnered numerous awards, including Academy Awards, BAFTA Awards, and Grammy Awards.
Each movie sees Indiana Jones embarking on an action-packed adventure in search of a rare antiquity. Here are the previous four films and the relics Indy was searching for:
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) – The Ark of the Covenant, a biblical artifact said to contain the original Ten Commandments.
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) – A sacred stone believed to possess mystical powers. This movie is a prequel to the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) – The Holy Grail, the cup used by Jesus Christ at the Last Supper said to possess the power of immortality.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) – A telepathic crystal skull from the mythical city of Akator.
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles television series is another piece of the Indiana Jones franchise. The show ran from 1992 to 1996, focusing on the adventures of a young Indiana Jones.
Indiana Jones 5 Movie Plot
Although much of the plot has been kept tightly under wraps, we know the film is set in 1969 against the backdrop of the space race and the moon landing. The adventure unfolds with Indy pitted against the Nazis, taking the franchise full circle.
Ultimately, Indy’s goddaughter Helena urges him to come out of retirement, and he races against time to retrieve a legendary artifact, the Dial of Destiny, that can change the course of history.
The film follows in the footsteps of the previous Indiana Jones movies with spectacular special effects, daring stunts, and non-stop action. With filming locations in the UK, Italy, and Morocco, there will be plenty of stunning scenery.
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny will run 2 hours 22 minutes, making it the longest in the series. The previous longest-running Indiana Jones movie was The Last Crusade at 2 hours 7 minutes.
The movie is rated PG-13 for “sequences of violence and action, language, and smoking.” A PG-13 rating by the MPAA strongly cautions parents that some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
The Last Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull share a PG-13 rating. The first two movies in the series have a PG rating.
Theater Release Date
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny premiered at the Cannes Film Festival on May 18. The movie will be released in theaters worldwide on June 30, just in time for the July 4th holiday.
Indiana Jones 5 Official Trailer
The teaser trailer for the film was released in December 2022, followed by a 30-second teaser during the 2023 Super Bowl. Finally, at the April Star Wars Celebration 2023, Lucasfilm released its official Dial of Destiny trailer. View it below to get a sneak peek into Indy’s final adventure.
Cast and Crew
The Harrison Ford-led adventure franchise features some familiar faces and some new ones, as well. Below is a list of the primary characters and crew.
The cast includes:
- Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones: The adventurous, lovable hero who undertakes one last epic journey to secure the Dial of Destiny.
- Toby Jones as Basil Shaw: Indy’s longtime friend. Basil and Indy have a history with Jürgen from a prior confrontation.
- Mads Mikkelsen as Jürgen Voller: Indy’s nemesis, the villainous former Nazi turned Apollo space engineer who Indy and Basil encountered in an earlier escapade.
- John Rhys-Davies as Sallah: Indy’s trusted friend and companion, willing to risk his own safety to help Indy on his quests. He also appeared in Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade.
- Boyd Holbrook as Klaber: Voller’s henchman.
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge as Helena Shaw: Basil’s daughter and Indy’s goddaughter. Helena brings Indy into his latest adventure.
- Antonio Banderas as Renaldo: Indy’s good friend, willing to assist him in whatever he needs.
- Thomas Kretschmann as Colonel Weber: A Nazi official from Indy’s past.
- Shaunette Renée Wilson as Agent Mason: An undercover government agent.
The crew includes:
- Director: James Mangold (known for Ford v Ferrari and Logan)
- Producers: Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, and Simon Emanuel, with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas serving as executive producers
- Writers: James Mangold, Jez Butterworth, John-Henry Butterworth, and David Koepp
- Music: John Williams
How to Watch Indy’s Adventures at Home
Thrill seekers can get caught up on all of Indiana Jones’ storylines by streaming the movies before the final installment is released. Settle in for a marathon viewing session in the comfort of your home. Every movie and each episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles will be available on Disney+ starting May 31. The movies are also available on Paramount+.
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is expected to follow Disney’s usual streaming release timeline, meaning it will likely be available on Disney+ after its run in theaters.
Use StreamSafely for All Your Streaming Needs
While it can be tempting to watch a “free,” pirated version of the new Indiana Jones film, watching on illegal streaming sites can be very harmful to your devices. It can expose you to malware, identity theft, malicious pop-ups, and other dangerous consequences.
StreamSafely provides you with the right tools to keep your streaming experience safe and secure. Educate yourself and learn more about how to stream safely.