Following the success of the Captain Marvel film in 2019, along with the well-received characters of Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan in Wandavision and Ms. Marvel, respectively, all three heroes are set to come together in Marvel Studio’s latest film — The Marvels.
The Marvels will be the 33rd film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and one of the most highly anticipated installments in the MCU’s phase five lineup.
The film’s lead star Brie Larson and producer Kevin Feige have both expressed their excitement about the project, which will further bridge the gap between the MCU’s theatrical and television outputs.
Everything to Know Before Watching The Marvels
Whether you’ve been a fan of the MCU since day one or you’re just starting to dive into the cinematic universe, here’s what you’ll want to know before watching The Marvels.
Captain Marvel: One of the MCU’s Strongest Characters
Captain Marvel, also known as Carol Danvers, is a popular Marvel Comics character who has made her mark in both the comic book world and on the big screen. Here’s some background information on Captain Marvel, including her origins in comics and her adaptations in film and television.
Comic Book Origin
Carol Danvers first appeared in Marvel Comics in “Marvel Super-Heroes” #13 in 1968 as an officer in the United States Air Force. She later became a security chief at NASA. Her origin as a superhero began when she was caught in the explosion of a Kree device, which resulted in her DNA merging with that of the Kree, an alien race. This event granted her superhuman abilities, including incredible strength, the ability to fly, and energy projection.
Captain Marvel made her MCU debut in the film Captain Marvel, released in 2019, starring Brie Larson as Carol Danvers. The film explored her origin story, her time as a U.S. Air Force pilot, and her transformation into Captain Marvel. It also delved into her role in the Kree-Skrull conflict and her connection to Nick Fury, played by Samuel L. Jackson.
The Marvels will follow Carol Danvers as she attempts to bring balance to a destabilized universe. When she encounters a wormhole linked to a Kree revolutionary, her life and powers become entangled with Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan, leading to an unlikely team up. This adventure will lead them to face off with Dar-Benn, a new MCU villain who is sure to test the strength and determination of Captain Marvel.
Here is more information about each of the three heroes:
- Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel: The film will continue the story of Carol Danvers, one of the most powerful heroes in the MCU. Carol is an Air Force pilot who gained superhuman abilities when her DNA merged with that of the Kree, an alien race. She became Captain Marvel and has played a significant role in protecting the Earth and the galaxy.
- Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel: Kamala Khan is a teenager from Jersey City with the ability to manipulate energy into physical constructs. She idolizes Carol Danvers and adopts the superhero identity of Ms. Marvel. The Disney+ series Ms. Marvel has introduced her character to the MCU, and her appearance in The Marvels is expected to be a pivotal moment in her journey.
- Monica Rambeau / Photon: Monica is a skilled pilot and was first introduced in Captain Marvel as a child. She later gained her own superpowers and appeared in WandaVision as an adult with energy manipulation abilities. The film is expected to continue to grow her influence on the MCU.
The Marvels will premiere in theaters in the U.S. on November 10, 2023, in a wide release by Walt Disney Studios.
The Marvels Official Trailer
Get acquainted with the film by checking out the official trailer below:
Here is a look at the main cast appearing in The Marvels:
- Brie Larson as Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel
- Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel
- Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau / Photon
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
- Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau
- Zawe Ashton as Dar-Benn
The film is directed by Nia DaCosta, known for her films Little Woods and Candyman. The screenplay was co-written by DaCosta, Megan McDonnell, and Elissa Karasik. It also features cinematography by Sean Bobbitt, editing by Catrin Hedström and Evan Schiff, and a score by Laura Karpman.
The film will have a runtime of 105 minutes, or 1 hour and 45 minutes.
The film will be released with a PG-13 rating.
Will The Marvels Be Available on a Streaming Service?
The film is currently scheduled for a theatrical release in November 2023, and while a streaming release has yet to be announced, audiences can expect the film to appear on Disney+ in the months following its theatrical release.
How StreamSafely Can Help You
Now that you have all the information you need before seeing The Marvels, make sure you know how to safely stream your favorite shows and movies from the comfort of your own home. You may see websites that offer free access to films, like The Marvels, that are still in theaters. It’s important to know how to recognize illegal streaming sites and to understand the risks of viewing pirated content.
StreamSafely provides all the information you need to watch your favorite content safely. Educate yourself and learn more about how to stream safely.